About the Position
This part-time position is responsible for regulating, directing, and controlling vehicular and pedestrian traffic. School Crossing Guards provide visibility to pedestrians and motorists to help monitor traffic flow and locate safe gaps through which pedestrians can cross the street safely. The main responsibilities of this position will be directing traffic at school crossings but may conduct traffic control at various parades and special City functions if needed.
School Crossing Guards assist pedestrians at school crosswalks for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon every school day.
The current hourly rate for the School Crossing Guards is $19.84/hour
Monday – Friday
Mornings: 8 AM – 9 AM
Afternoons: 3 PM – 4 PM
Skills, Abilities, and Qualifications
- Graduation from High School or completion of a GED is preferred.
- Possession of a valid Pennsylvania State Driver’s License is preferred.
- Ability to cope with situations firmly, courteously, tactfully, and with respect for the rights of others.
- Ability to remain alert at all times and to act quickly and objectively in emergencies.
- Ability to pass basic and advanced First Aid courses and utilize these skills in an emergency.
- Ability to read, write, speak and comprehend English is required.
- Ability to work as part of a team and to collaborate successfully with others.
- Ability to adapt to new or changed situations and show flexibility in improving work processes and operations.
- Ability to commit to excellence in service and to continuous improvement.
- Ability to exhibit customer-centered behaviors and to focus on customer needs.
- Must pass required FBI criminal history background check, Pennsylvania State Police criminal background check, and Pennsylvania child abuse background check as a condition of initial employment and during the tenure of employment. Applicants must also pass a drug test.