About the Position
If you are interested in pursuing a career in law enforcement, working as a Community Service Aide (CSA) is a great way to gain the necessary experience before joining the police force.
This is a full-time position that provides a variety of support to uniformed police officers, other police civilian staff, and the public both in the field and at the Police Station.
CSAs assist with prisoner security by searching for contraband, supervising the jail section, and escorting offenders. They take minor service calls such as parking complaints, animal complaints, and found property reports, and will occasionally direct vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
In addition to these duties, they also perform administrative tasks such as filing warrant information, utilizing local and statewide computer programs and software systems, and preparing and maintaining records, forms, and reports.
CSAs must have strong attention to detail, exceptional oral and written communication skills, and the ability to work under pressure and in emergency situations. CSAs will follow safe practices in the performance of duties and comply with policies, procedures, rules, and regulations at the Bureau.
All employees must demonstrate character traits consistent with the Bureau’s mission and exemplify the Bureau’s core values at all times.
This description is a general overview of the position. It is not intended as a complete list of specific duties and responsibilities.
Skills, Abilities, and Qualifications
- Graduation from High School or completion of a GED is required.
- Possession of a valid Pennsylvania State Driver’s License is required.
- Proven proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and Lotus Notes) or similar software.
- Ability to employ various electronic and computerized equipment to photograph, fingerprint, and otherwise process prisoners during the booking process.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in the English language.
- Ability to adapt and function in stressful situations and maintain a professional demeanor when dealing with uncooperative individuals.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and collaborate successfully with others.
- Proven ability to adapt to new or changed situations and show flexibility in improving work processes and operations.
Satisfactory passing of drug screening, background investigation, polygraph, and all requirements of the Criminal History Records Act, Chapter 91 of the Pennsylvania Crimes Code is required.
Successful completion of certification as a CLEAN Terminal Operator is required.
Salary & Benefits
January 2023 will begin a new contract year. These numbers are only accurate until 12/31/22.
The current hourly rates for the CSA position are $20.48 – $21.63.
The City of Lancaster offers a comprehensive benefits package to benefits-eligible positions:
- Medical (PPO and HDHP/HSA options)
- Dental, Vision, & Life Insurance
- Critical Illness and Accident Insurance
- 457 Deferred Compensation
- Sick, Vacation, Personal Time
- 12 Paid Holidays for non-essential positions (Bonus days given in lieu of holidays to essential positions)
Community Service Aides that put in 1 year of service shall receive 3 preference points toward the police officer testing process.